SQL Server Query Tuning and Optimization: Optimize Microsoft SQL Server 2022 queries and applications PDF
- Length: 446 pages
- Edition: 1
- Language: English
- Publisher: Packt Publishing
- Publication Date: 2022-08-12
Get well-versed with ready-to-use techniques for creating high-performance queries and applications
- Speed up queries and dramatically improve application performance by both understanding query engine internals and practical query optimization
- Understand how the query optimizer works
- Learn about intelligent query processing and what is new in SQL Server 2022
SQL Server is a relational database management system developed by Microsoft. As a database server, it is a software product with the primary function of storing and retrieving data as requested by other software applications.
This book starts by describing the inner workings of the query optimizer, and will enable you to use this knowledge to write better queries and provide the query engine with all the information it needs to produce efficient execution plans. As you progress, you’ll get practical query optimization tips for troubleshooting underperforming queries. The book will also guide you through intelligent query processing and what is new in SQL Server 2022. Query performance topics such as the Query Store, In-Memory OLTP and columnstore indexes are covered as well.
By the end of this book, you’ll be able to get the best possible performance for your queries and applications.
What you will learn
- Troubleshoot queries using methods including extended events, SQL Trace, and dynamic management views
- Understand how the execution engine and query operators work
- Speed up queries and improve app performance by creating the right indexes
- Detect and fix cardinality estimation errors by examining query optimizer statistics
- Monitor and promote both plan caching and plan reuse to improve app performance
- Troubleshoot and improve query performance by using the Query Store
- Improve the performance of data warehouse queries by using columnstore indexes
- Handle query processor limitations with hints and other methods