Web Development with Django: Learn to build modern web applications with a Python-based framework
Author(s): Ben Shaw, Saurabh Badhwar, Andrew Bird, Bharath Chandra K S, Chris Guest
Publisher: Packt Publishing, Year: 2021
Learn how to create your own websites simply, safely, and quickly with Django by tackling practical activities based on realistic case studies
- Understand Django functionality and the Model-View-Template (MVT) paradigm
- Create and iteratively build a book review website, adding features as you build your knowledge
- Explore advanced concepts such as REST API implementation and third-party module integration
Do you want to develop reliable and secure applications which stand out from the crowd, rather than spending hours on boilerplate code? Then the Django framework is where you should begin. Often referred to as a ‘batteries included’ web development framework, Django comes with all the core features needed to build a standalone application.
Web Development with Django takes this philosophy and equips you with the knowledge and confidence to build real-world applications using Python.
Starting with the essential concepts of Django, you’ll cover its major features by building a website called Bookr – a repository for book reviews. This end-to-end case study is split into a series of bitesize projects that are presented as exercises and activities, allowing you to challenge yourself in an enjoyable and attainable way.
By the end of this book, you’ll have the skills and confidence to creatively tackle your own ambitious projects with Django.
What you will learn
- Create a new application and add models to describe your data
- Use views and templates to control behavior and appearance
- Implement access control through authentication and permissions
- Develop practical web forms to add features such as file uploads
- Connect to a database such as PostgreSQL